I Love singing. Since the day I started playing guitar I almost always used to sing, even though at the beginning I was terrible at it. There is something about singing that just makes us feel good, and it’s one of the most enjoyable musical activities you can engage in. No wonder just about everybody loves singing in the shower… Today I’ll show you some surprisingly cool advantages and health benefits of singing that might make you take your singing out of the shower and into the world…
Especially as a guitarist, singing along instead of just playing an “empty song” will make you a ton more interesting to listen to. Let’s start with all the health benefits:
Health Benefits of Singing – Singing Is Therapeutic Both Physically and Emotionally. Here’s Why*:
1. Singing Is Scientifically Proven To Improve Your Mood, Make You Happy And Relaxed. It releases the same feel-good brain chemicals as sex and chocolate! Endorphins and Oxytocin are a very powerful combination that will make you happy, reduce stress and ease any pain you might be suffering from.
2. It’s An Actual Workout, And A Really Good One. Through singing and proper breathing, you are having a great aerobic workout. Yes, the one that works on the lungs… If you don’t believe it, try for yourself to sing for 30 minutes and see how great you feel afterward, or ask any performing singer (even if it’s the local choir singer) how he feels after a two-hour performance.
Now seriously, find an empty space and just go and sing your favorite songs as if you’re the band leader. Put the actual songs in the background if it gets you in the mood, and let us know how it felt…
3. Your Everyday Posture Will Become Better and you’ll look more impressive. The most basic singing 101 is to always make sure you stand / sit straight and in a correct posture. When you get this right and keep practicing it regularly, it will also “spread” to your everyday routines.
4. Your Breathing Will Become More Efficient And You Will Be More Vital. When you are more efficient it means you get more oxygen, more oxygen means you are less tired and enjoy increased vitality! Unfortunately, it’s a fact that most of us just breathe incorrectly and in a shallow way. Partly because of the everyday life hurries and stresses, and partly just because we never practiced doing it in the most efficient way, even if it sounds like something so simple and obvious. Singing will help you fix it!
5. Singing Boosts Your Immune System, helping to fight disease and prolonging life expectancy.
Benefits of Singing for the Instrumental Musician:
6. You are no longer a no-lyrics guitar player! When You Sing Along With Your Instrument You Are 10X More Interesting For The Listeners! And everybody can learn how to sing, so why not? Think about it, would you go to a concert where the artist only plays the guitar and does not sing a single word? That just sound boring.
7. Singing Will Get You To The Front Of The Stage. Even if you don’t want to become the full-time lead vocalist in your band, decent singing skills can let you jump to the front for a song or two occasionally, like John Frusciante does in Red Hot Chilli Peppers concerts and he is just one example.
9. The enhanced breathing control you will get from singing will be Very Helpful If You Play Multiple Instruments that require good breathing control such as the harmonica, flute, trumpet, etc.
10. Singing Enriches Your Ability To Appreciate The Art Of Great Singers, just like you guitar lets you further appreciate good guitarists.
11. Oh, and check out the meme on the bottom of the post… It might just be true (-;
So What Are You Waiting for? Everybody Can Learn How to Sing Well:
Check out this article here for 4 HUGE Singing Tips that will get you comfortably singing starting from today! In this link, you can also read a bit about an excellent online course I took and highly recommend about in case you are really serious about it and willing to put in the time to become a much better singer.
Related Articles and Studies That Prove The Points Above:
Time Magazine – Singing Changes Your Brain.
Guitar Tricks – 11 Tricks For Singing And Playing Guitar At The Same Time.
An academic research from the UK about singing benefits.
Heart Research.co.uk – Singing Is Good For You.
You'll Probably Love These Related Posts:
Join 50K+ Monthly Readers: Get the Monthly GuitarHippies Newsletter With the Most Popular Articles
The Top Guitar Hacks & Tricks, Coolest Guitar Gadget Reviews, Top 10 Music Lists and Plenty More Good Stuff.
Thank you for subscribing.